Sunday, December 19, 2010

when did yoga turn into an abs class?

I have lost count of how many times I’ve taught bakasana (crow pose) in a yoga class, and a student who is having difficulty says to me “My core isn’t strong enough, right?” I often get befuddled before answering because there are so many things involved in learning challenging poses.

My answer is always governed by looking at the students’ general alignment, actions in the pose, and even their attitude.  Students often mean their abdominal area when they say ‘core,’ and this probably comes from many teachers and styles of yoga emphasizing ab strength as the meaning of core strength.  But what  about the spine?  Isn’t the spine the central channel and true middle of the body too?  If you look at yoga as a spiritual practice (which it is), why wouldn’t we think then of the heart as the core?  Or the mind, since its also a meditative practice?

And when did the yoga practice turn into an abdominal exercise class?

The dictionary defines of the word ‘core’ as “the central part of a fleshy fruit, containing the seeds.”  Secondly, “the innermost or most essential part  of anything”.  From these definitions I can see the assumption of the core to be the abdominal area. But I guess it’s about your perspective, and where you sit that will lead you to determine the most essential part of who you are and what you are.

As a spiritual practice, I’d define the core as ‘heart’ in my Anusara practice. Like a work-in-progress since the moment of birth, this life is an offering for us into an awakening of heart, if we choose.  Our bodies, hearts and minds are none other than embodied forms of Spirit, and when we breathe and move at the same time in asana, we are creating a relationship with Spirit and an awakening can happen.

“Core” is the word I am hearing all over these days and it has come to mean just one thing. I see it shifting, as often and as quickly as the asanas do in class, depending on where you sit in yourself that day.  Maybe you need the core of your practice to be more inward to settle your mind.  Or, maybe you’re working with an injury and you need to focus on particular actions to  clear it  These too could be interpreted as core power.  Over the next few weeks, I’ll be examining different aspects of core power, from many perspectives. Travel with me.

(from www.yogacitynyc.com - 12/11/10)

1 comment:

hellie said...

great perspective on the Core~ like in using Chinese medicine (specifically acupuncture) - versus physical therapy for an injury. the systems are just so different, the 'healing speak' doesn't relate from one system to another. similarly in working with the yoga core - abdominal strength almost the external, the superficial. whereby the core, the internal. my 2c ;0)